Waux GridEX® Walkway System Featured on MMA Wednesbury Depot Enhancements
Waux have recently been involved in supplying the Midlands Metro Alliance (MMA) to upgrade track walkways with our GridEX® GRP grating range.
The development of trams in the West Midlands, worth £1.3 billion is well underway with Midlands Metro Alliance (MMA) consisting of design experts from Egis, Tony Gee and Pell Frischmann; and rail construction specialist Colas Rail including sub-alliance partners Barhale and Bouygues UK.
Working closely with civil engineer and architect Mott Macdonald, GridEX®, a structural GRP walkway system exclusive to Waux, was specified and selected for use on the Wednesbury Depot Enhancements on the MMA scheme. The route between Wednesbury to Brierley Hill Extension is running along an existing heavy rail corridor so improving the existing safety access to optimum rail standards was essential to help facilitate the safety of maintenance staff when crossing.
Waux was involved from the initial design stage right through to installation support for the installers on site to ensure a seamless installation process.
The GridEX® GRP walkway system available from Waux was quickly specified as the ideal solution for this project due to the suitability and benefits it offers including low maintenance, long design life, non-conductivity, and being a lightweight alternative to traditional materials such as steel. Its proven anti-slip properties meant that the maintenance and depot staff can safely cross the tracks in years to come.
Our GridEX® structural GRP grating range is fabricated from sustainably sourced raw materials to ensure that our clients can enjoy the benefits of working with a manufacturer producing the highest quality systems on the market.
We look forward to working on future projects with our GridEX® GRP walkway system to help support our clients in achieving both safer railways and long-term value.
Why Choose GridEX® GRP Grating from Waux on Your next Project?
To meet the demands of the infrastructure sector, we design, fabricate and supply only the best quality products manufactured from responsibly sourced raw materials.
Here are some great reasons to choose GridEX® for your next GRP grating project:
- In comparison with traditional materials including wood and steel, GridEX® GRP Grating is a lightweight alternative making it easy to manhandle and install on site. With a high strength to weight ratio, no heavy lifting equipment should be required on site.
- Maintenance Free. With non-corrosive and non-rot properties, our GridEX® GRP grating range requires very little maintenance after install.
- Long-term performance and design life of 60 years (depending on application and frequency of use)
- Impact Resistant. The flexibility of our GridEX® GRP Grating means that it absorbs knocks and recovers back to its original state
- Chemical & Rust Resistant. The chemical resistant properties in our GRP grating means that it can be used in harsh environments including oil rigs, chemical plants, substations, marine and offshore, and infrastructure.
- Fire Resistant – available in phenolic resins suitable for applications underground including tunnels and substations.
- GridEX® GRP grating is manufactured from superior quality resins increasing the colour life
- Anti-slip surface for track engineer and site personnel safety in wet and icy conditions.
- Other properties include: UV Stability, Salt Resisting
- Full fixing method is calculated and supplied by Waux to save you time when purchasing and installing on site, therefore, reducing lead times with the complete system available from one supplier.
- Cutting service to suit specifications or site requirements.
Waux readily provides free professional advice on the most suitable product for your project specification, so get in touch with our technical team today to discuss your requirements.
To request copies of our technical specifications, please call 020 8057 8618 or submit your request via the Contact page.
Sign up to receive industry-focused insights, latest projects and new product launches